Claridge’s – the legendary Mayfair hotel – has unveiled a series of new suites, designed by award winning and next generation interior designer Bryan O’Sullivan of Bryan O’Sullivan Studio. O’Sullivan previously designed the much talked about and admired Berkeley Bar, at Claridge’s sister hotel The Berkeley, and has other upcoming projects across the Maybourne Hotel Group. The two new ‘Mayfair’ suites see the hotel’s signature Art Deco and Victorian architectural styles celebrated, yet reimagined for today.
The art deco Mayfair suite
- This suite is a contemporary homage to the Claridge’s art deco era – designed as deco for today. Effortlessly elegant, soft and light in its mood.
- The original scalloped fireplace, in pink marble and glass, inspired the entire concept and scallop curves continue throughout from the curvature of a beautiful hand painted screen to the coral mohair chairs.
- The colour palette consists of pinks, corals, light green and neutrals.
- The furniture is a mix of locally-sourced antiques and Bryan O’Sullivan Studio bespoke pieces which give an overarching contemporary feel. The suite features hero pieces such as an exquisite bur oak mini bar inspired by the lives of the Bright Young Things of the 1920s, and an expansive art deco bur oak headboard.
- A statement pendant light in the sitting room of the suite is a 1950s Murano glass piece sourced at an Italian auction – its colours pull the scheme together.
- The suite features a luxurious monochrome marble bathroom, and elsewhere a vanity table nook is decadently wrapped in deep bur oak complete with pink Italian marble table top. The vanity mirror is flanked with light bulbs evoking silver screen glamour.
The Victorian Mayfair suite
- This suite is inspired by Claridge’s Victorian architectural features and is pared back and classical. It is light and calm in its aesthetic with natural light flooding the space.
- Bryan O’Sullivan experimented with the furniture, fusing different eras, from the 1940s up to the modern day. Again, the original Victorian fireplace is a focal point of the suite straddled by 1950s Italian-inspired bespoke wall lights.
- Highly unusual wooden foret flooring by Osca Ono runs throughout the living areas of the suite, whilst marble floor spans the lobby and bathroom, embedded with the signature Claridge’s ‘C’.
- Statement pieces in the suite include a free form marble topped dining table and a vast curved sofa in chestnut mohair. Other notable pieces include a spectacular curved mini bar in walnut with floral marquetry inlay and a much-coveted shearling Finn Jhul ‘Pelican’ chair which resides in the bedroom.
- The bedroom is warm and tranquil and includes a Brutalist pendant light, adding a surprising edge to the room.
- The walk in dressing room is lined in light oak with leather inlay panels, complete with a stained glass skylight created with handmade obscure glass.
- The bathroom features cornflower blue marble accents and a vast curved bath is flanked by matching washstands.
- The piece de resistance of the suite is the Powder Room off the lobby. A Fontana Arte mid-century mirror is the focal point, surrounded by an explosion of dark and sultry marble in greys, purples, and greens. A hand carved timber wash stand and chrome taps are the final flourishes.
The new Mayfair suites can be booked on www.claridges.co.uk