Pictured: JW Marriott Masai Mara
Marriott International is celebrating the launch of The Westin London City, its 1,000th hotel in Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA).
As the company celebrated this milestone, it also announced that it expects to add more than 200 properties across 2022 and 2023, equating to 38,000 rooms in Europe, Middle East and Africa.
- Marriott International’s select-service brands, such as AC by Marriott, Moxy Hotels, Courtyard by Marriott, Residence Inn by Marriott, Aloft Hotels, Element Hotels and Four Points by Sheraton, continue to spearhead growth across Europe, accounting for more than 50 percent of the company’s current signed pipeline of hotels in the Europe region.
- Moxy Hotels, Marriott’s bold and experiential hotel brand created for the young at heart, is slated to add more than 26 additional hotels to its portfolio in the region across 2022 and 2023, with planned openings including the Moxy Liverpool City Centre (UK), Moxy Paris East (France) and Moxy Pompeii (Italy).
- Set to make its European debut in 2023, Fairfield by Marriott is expected to see two hotels open next year – the Fairfield by Marriott Badhoevedorp Amsterdam Schiphol Airport (The Netherlands) and Fairfield by Marriott Copenhagen Nordhavn (Denmark).
- The extended-stay segment remains extremely resilient in Europe, especially with the rise of multi-purpose travel. Last year, the company opened four Residence Inn by Marriott hotels across Europe and plans to extend its reach with 15 more Residence Inn by Marriott hotels expected to open in city hotspots like Naples (Italy), Vienna (Austria) and Paris (France) across 2022 and 2023.
- Luxury hotels and residential properties continue to be in high demand with consumers, especially across the Middle East, representing over 20 percent of the company’s signed pipeline units in the region. This year’s highly anticipated openings include W Dubai – Mina Seyahi, slated to open in April 2022, and in May this year, the company expects to introduce The Ritz-Carlton brand in Jordan with the opening of The Ritz-Carlton, Amman.
- The company also continues to support the growth of the tourism sector in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, with four luxury hotels expected to open across 2022 and 2023.
- The company expects to open more than 20 hotels in Africa across 2022 and 2023. Among these are six Protea Hotels by Marriott properties, including the 200-room Protea Hotel by Marriott Accra Kotoka Airport in Ghana and Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Polokwane in South Africa.
“I’m very proud of reaching 1,000 Marriott International hotels across EMEA,” comments Satya Anand, President, Marriott International, EMEA. “This growth milestone is symbolic of our rich history and bright future, and it feels fitting that our 1,000th property is a fantastic Westin in London.
“Last year alone, we opened nearly 90 properties across EMEA, including brand debuts in destinations such as Ibiza, ReykjavÃk and Cairo, as well as additional openings in established markets such as London and Dubai. I am excited to further enhance our portfolio, bringing even more unique travel experiences to our guests, and look forward to continuing to drive value for our owners and franchisees through our world-class brands, comprehensive business support systems and our industry-leading loyalty platform, Marriott Bonvoy.”